Holiday Passive Programs

 To add a little more interactive fun to our Christmas decorations in the Children's Department this year, we've incorporated 2 super awesome winter passive programs (and maybe one more to come!).

Thanks to the ladies over at School Library Displays  for sharing the idea! Most of the books under our tree are easy readers but there are a few chapter books in a mix of new books, old books and undiscovered gems. 
And because I'm a slightly paranoid person, a key sheet that matches the title to a number written on the butcher paper. In case someone comes in looking for Llama Llama, Red Pajama I can consult my handy reference sheet  and tell them to look for #x instead of going, "Yea, it's one of those wrapped books under the tree". You feel me?

 These rules were heavily plagiarized from the link listed above! 
To go along with unwrapping a surprised book, we also have book reviews inside the cover of each book. Children can fill these out and return to staff before a certain date for an entry into a prize drawing!
Gah, ignore the typo in #4...

The second activity is less involved...


Taking down my Where The Wild Things Are was a toughie. I even left it up for nearly 3 months, which is double the amount of time they usually stay up!  

Anyway,  I LOVE interactive bulletin boards so I can't tell you how excited I was to have this new bulletin board to replace Wild Things with! For this, the snowflakes ask "What are you reading?" and kids can decorate a snowflake to go on the board. There's a box of crayons and scissors available so kids can cut out their snowflake (or have mom do it). 

Kids can put the finished snowflake in a box or give it to one of us in children's and we'll get it up there. We're using sticky tack instead of a stapler too, so if little  kids want to put their own snowflake on the board, that makes it a lot easier than giving them my stapler!


I love seeing all the colorful snowflakes that kids are making and can't wait til we get more up there!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top