Wind Storytime

 

This story time focused on wind but in all honesty, our group didn't get around to all the things I had planned on. The group that came to this program were mainly 2's and 3's. Anyway, here's the run-down of my Wind Story Time. . . 

BOOK: DUCK! by Meg McKinlay

After our Good Morning songs, we read "DUCK!" by Meg McKinlay. In this book, it's a quiet afternoon on the farm except for Duck, who is running around yelling at all the animals, "DUCK!" The other animals explain to Duck that they are different animals and to stop calling them ducks. What
Duck is really doing is telling them to duck (get out of the way) - as a play on the 2 different meanings of the word "duck". 

What's happening though, is a storm is coming, which is why it was included. 

After our book, we played "Feel The Music" by Jack Hartmann, which has nothing to do at all with the theme - just getting our bodies moving.

Action Rhyme: I See The Wind

I see the wind when the leaves dance by (dance hands around)

I see the wind when the clothes wave "HI!" (wave hand)

I see the wind when the trees bend low (bend arms down)

I see the wind when the flags all blow (wave arms)

I see the wind when the when the kites fly high (raise arms high)

I see the wind when the clouds float by (wave hands gently)

I see the wind when it blows my hair (lift hair with hands)

I see the wind most everywhere! (hold hands out, palms up)


Felt Activity: 5 Kites

Way up high in the sky so blue

5 little kites flew and flew.

The wind blew hard and the wind blew loud 

And the wind blew the color kite off to the clouds. 

For this one, the kids made sound effects. When the "wind blew hard", they waved their arms like something blowing in the wind and when the "wind blew loud" they went "WHOOOSH". 

Action Song: 10 Little Flowers

1 little, 2 little, 3 little flowers. 4 little, 5 little, 6 little flowers. 7 little, 8 little, 9 little flowers. 10 little flowers in the spring. 

Give them rain and lots of sunshine. Give them rain and lots of sunshine. Give them rain and lots of sunshine so they grow up tall. 

Actions for this song in the first verse were just counting on fingers. For the 2nd verse, we made rain with our fingers fluttering down and then sunshine was making a ball with our arms and holding it above our head. 

Flannel Board Story: The Mouse and the Winds by Arnold Lobel

My felt pieces were copied from Storytime Shenanigans. And because we didn't have a copy of the story, I watched Lolly Hopwood's read-aloud on Youtube and wrote down the story. 

And in case you need the words, here's what I had written down. 

I don't know if it's verbatim from the story.

Then, because it's April (hello, National Poetry Month!) we ended with a poem. 

And aside from filler rhymes and songs, that's it.




💚💛💜


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top