Author Focus: Eric Carle

 This post contains 2 separate Eric Carle inspired crafts. The first is a Little Cloud parfait, based on "Little Cloud". The second is a paper craft based on Mr. Carle's art technique and "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". 


Little Cloud Parfait

This activity was part of an online Youtube series our library did called "Bookie Bakes".

In this series, we focus on an author and then I do a short demonstration on a book related snack to go along with this book.

It was inspired by this recipe from My Food And Family. 

Here's the link to our Youtube Video for this program. Keep in mind, we're no professionals when it comes to filming or being in front of the camera! 

If you'd like a copy of my script, message me or comment below and I'll be happy to share the information I collected! 😀

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Collage

This craft was supposed to mimic Eric Carle's art technique however, I did take a few artistic liberties to make this more library-friendly, of course.

For his collages, he uses acrylic paint over tissue paper. Then, he cuts out shapes and uses those shapes in his collages to make an image.

Ours was slightly different. 

Namely, instead of paint, we used oil pastels. This was because painting the tissue paper took a while to dry and I wasn't particularly excited to bring out paints in our story hour room while planning. 

Supplies for this were: 

  • Half sheet of construction paper
  • Tissue Paper
  • Double sided Paper
  • Liquid glue
  • Tissue paper scraps cut into small squares
  • Oil Pastels
  • Scissors

Hardest part of the prep was sticking the tissue paper to the double sided paper without getting any wrinkles. 

The purpose for this, and why I'd recommend it, is that doing this adds stability to the tissue paper. Tissue paper is SO flimsy, without it, cutting and coloring it is very difficult, especially for the kiddos.

If memory serves, this is what I bought from Hobby Lobby to use for my double sided sheets. 

This is an example of what it looks like. Once the kids colored the tissue side and cut their caterpillar shapes out, it was just like putting a sticker down on a piece of paper! 

But that's all I've got! Happy planning!!

💚💛💜




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top