Frogs and Bugs Storytime

There are two different storytimes we do during a normal library week: PreK storytimes for ages 3+ and Book Babies for ages 3 and under.

Around age 3 we encourage families to try out both programs and see what works best for them. Even attend both of them if they like!

This program was originally planned as a virtual Book Babies program but on paper, it looks more like a storytime. It hasn't yet been filmed but I thought I'd go ahead and share it with you anyway.

One thing that I will say about my storytime notes is that I have to write my segues out. The other children's librarian at our library was an early elementary teacher for several years so she's able to do storytimes like that [insert snapping motion here].

That's not always the case with many of us and that's alright. At the risk of looking like an utter LOON, I'm going to include my little segues into this post. It helps me so much when I read other people's script-like prompts that I want to share a little of mine.

Ok, enough with my gibbering. Let's get some work done!

Intro Song: The More We Get Together...

This was originally done by Raffi and is to the tune of Did You Ever See A Lassie? Book Babies and Storytime each get different Welcome Songs and this has been the babies Welcome Song for several years.

Song: Good Morning Mrs. Perky Bird

Out Mrs. Perky Bird tweets when she's squeezed. The kids love it about as much as I love this song!

Today we're going to share some songs and books about frogs and bugs. Can you think of any types of bugs? Bugs are sometimes tiny and can be found outside but sometimes they can get inside your house. 

Is Mrs. Perky Bird a bug? I've got a book to share with  you that's all about bugs and I want you to pay special attention to all the different types of bugs. Then I'm going to ask you again if you think Mrs. Perky Bird is a bug or not.


Book: "I Love Bugs!" by Philemon Sturges

There are so many types of bugs! Maybe your favorite bug was in the story but now for the question: Is Mrs. Perky Bird a bug? No, she's not. She's a bird. 

But there were some bugs that flew in the story. Do you remember what they were?

Before butterflies grow into beautiful bugs with big beautiful wings, they're called caterpillars.

Song: Little Arabella Millar

Song/ Flannel Story: Five Green Speckled Frogs

There are 2 ways we do this song. One can be done with the flannel story or another way is with the glove. This glove has velcro on the fingers and on the backside of the frogs, so they attach securely. As you sing, with the glove on your hand, remove one frog from a finger as the frogs jump into the pool in the song.

 I think those frogs enjoyed jumping into the water, don't you? Should we practice some jumping of our own?

Song: And We Walk and We Walk....


This song comes from Mother Goose On The Loose and it a great action song. I couldn't find any good videos of but here's one where you get an idea.

Everyone walks in a circle while one person leads the song. "And we walk and we walk and we walk and we stop" When we hear the word "stop" everyone stops in place.

Repeat 3 times and then sing the next verse. (Walk, Skip, Jump)

For an extra interactive element, pass out musical instruments so the kids can play instruments while marching in a circle.

I've got a book about jumping animals to read next. Anytime I read the word "jump", I want you to jump up from where you're sitting.

Book: Jump! by Scott M. Fischer

Action Rhyme: Jack-in-the-Box

This is also from Mother Goose on the Loose. In this rhyme, you pretend to be a Jack-In-The-Box.

So grab your giant imaginary box from behind you, place it in front of you. Climb in and squat down.

(Slowly at first, while winding your box)
Jack-in-the-Box, sitting so still
Won't you come out?
Yes, I will!  (Stand up and raise your arms up high)

 

⬇ Updated 4/15/2021 ⬇

 

This song was written for a frog story time where "Tad" by Benji Davies was read.

Song: In The Water Of A Shallow Lake (original)

In the water of a shallow lake (crouch on the ground)

A tiny egg begins to shake (shaking)

A tadpole hatches out and it looks like this (stand with feet together)

With a giant head, that's hard to miss. (arms in circle overhead)

But then...

Two Legs... (jump feet apart)

Two Arms (lower arms)

And his tail disappears (shake your tail)

What animal is it? It's a frog!




💚💛💜

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top