Foam Sword Tutorial

 World of Warcraft Foam Sword Tutorial
Having never before made a costume sculpted from EVA foam before, I rely HEAVILY on tutorials from more talented crafters. For some reason, where to begin with this sword construction really stumped me. Here's how this project went down for me - hope it helps you!

Items used were: 1) interlinking foam mats, 2) thin color craft foam, 3) glue (both hot glue, contact cement and modge podge), 4) carpet knife, 5) small sander and dremel, 6) paper mache paste, 7) pipe, 8) spare fabric
______________________________________________________
To construct my sword, I started with printing out a picture of the sword in the desired size. Instead of free-hand drawing anything, all I did was cut apart my picture and use that as my pattern. This helped save time and hassle.

Once the base was cut out, I used the dremel to create a trail to fit my handle into.  To provide sturdiness to the sword, this copper pipe spanned nearly the entire length of the blade.

Once both inside pieces of the foam where sanded into with the dremel to allow room for the pipe, the pieces were glued together. I used hot glue since it's strong and sets quickly.

I was warned about using hot glue as it does pose the possibility of the wax remelting in the heat. This was not an issue with me in the southern summertime heat. 

 Adding the embellishments, took about a day. For Quel'delar's claw-like grips that hug the top of the blade, I brought out my paper mache.
These claws were originally shaped with thin craft foam then paper mache' d over them for strength and smoothness. I am continuously amazed by how sturdy paper mache can be. They were sanded smooth.
In fact, paper mache was also used around the copper pipe to keep it from moving since I had actually forgotten to secure it inside the sword. Oops.   

One of the things that stumped me while reading about how to make a foam sword was the discussions on priming and sealing.

Before painting, everyone seemed to endorse priming first, saying that because it is such an absorbent material, it will absorb any paint applied to it. So to prime it, I mixed equal parts Modge Podge and water and covered the sword with two layers of this mixture.  After those layers dried, I painted it.

I know it's not perfect, but not too shabby for my first attempt right?

CONVERSATION

3 comments:

  1. Shop the biggest selection of Cheap Swords at the lowest rates possible. From medieval swords, fantasy swords, movie swords to the swords of feudal Japan - we have them all. Grab the sword of your dream from us today and be the swordsman you always wanted to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's an amazing sword. I can't believe it's just foam and paper maybe. Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top