Name Story Time

 

Names are very special and sometimes there are special reasons or stories behind why you were given your name! 

This story time celebrates your name. 

BOOK

My Name by Supriya Kelkar and Always Anjali by Sheetal Sheth.

Originally I had planned to read Tikki Tikki Tembo but upon research, learned that it is viewed as a racist story. So at the last minute, I had to change my books around. 

RHYME

This one involves crowd participation! For this one, each kid can share their name to be used in the rhyme. 

We did a simple beat for this as well - clap and then pat your lap with both hands.

Hickety Pickety Bumble Bee

Hickety pickety bumble bee
Won't you say your name for me?
Rhonda
Let's clap and say it
Rhon-da (clap each syllable)
Let's say it loud!
Rhon-da (clap each syllable again)
Let's say it quiet
Rhon-da (clap each syllable again)

SONG

We sang this song at summer camp all the time. It's a movement building song. So begin with pushing the button with your right hand. Then repeat verse adding a new body part while continuing pressing buttons with the prior body parts.

Hi My Name Is Joe

Hi, my name is Joe
And I work in a button factory
Got a wife, 3 kids and a family
One day, my boss said "Joe
Push the button with your right hand"

Repeat verses with . . . 

left hand, right foot, left foot, head

ACTIVITY

At the end, we looked up our names in a baby name book to see what the meanings of our names were. Unfortunately not all names were in the book I had but it was still interesting!

For an after story time activity, I had coat of arm templates left over from a previous craft that I pulled out. 

They were tied into the theme this way: Hundreds of years ago, in medieval times, some families had a coat of arms. They would be covered in images or symbols - like a family logo.

Kids were instructed to take a coat of arms and design one with that in mind. What symbols define you? What symbols define your family?



💚💛💜




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top