Money Story Time

This theme was inspired by an article in my local paper about teaching financial literacy. April is also considered financial literacy month so if you're reading this, you might squirrel this away for spring.

BOOK

What is Money by Nadia Higgins and Bunny Money by Rosemary Wells.

These books were perfect for my group!

SONGS

This song had been sung a week or so prior which is why it was incorporated it again. We changed the words from working in a button factory to something else though and I can't for the life of me remember what we changed the words to. 

Hi My Name Is Joe

Hi, my name is Joe
And I work in a button factory
Got a wife, 3 kids and a family
One day, my boss said "Joe
Push the button with your right hand"

Repeat verses with . . . 

left hand, right foot, left foot, head 

Before hand I printed out lifelike coins on cardstock to pass out. Each kid got 4 coins: penny, nickle, dime and a quarter.

For the next song, we each practiced putting them in order. By this time, we were all on the floor, sitting in a circle so it was easy to demonstrate. 

Pennies, Nickels, Dimes and Quarters (Tune: 10 Little Indians)

Pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters
Pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters
Pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters
Put them in that order.

To collect the pretend money back, I pulled out a pig puppet. Then we sang . . .

I Had A Shiny Dime (Tune: The Farmer in the Dell)

I had a shiny dime,
I had a shiny dime,
I put it in my piggy bank
To spend another time.

This was sung with each coin and as each coin was mentioned, kids were invited to drop it into the pig puppet.

 

ACTIVITY

There were 2 activities after story time - 1 was popular and 1 was not. 

1. We brought out the big lego blocks and I challenged the kids to build a bank. 

2. On a table, kids could practice counting out money with dollar bills and coins. 

This one was more popular with the after school crowd. 



💚💛💜




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top