Percy Jackson Scavenger Hunt

 Oh the perils of planning a program around a series I have not read.


While planning for Summer Reading, one theme TAG kept mentioning was Percy Jackson. Based on their book descriptions I think I loosely remember reading The Lightning Thief but that was the extent of my knowledge and unfortunately for this program, I couldn't get anymore input as to what they wanted to do with Percy Jackson.

So of course, I scoured Pinterest for any inkling of a direction to take this. Maybe it was my word searches, but I was not finding anything age appropriate to confidently offer my teens! Thankfully, where all else fails, Teen Librarian Toolbox (Olympians Week) pulled through for me.

The Scavenger Hunt: Teens helped to pick out the objects that would be hidden around the library, but since this was a scavenger hunt for them, they wanted to be surprised and play along.

Originally they had expressed an interest in all three of the twists the Teen Librarian Toolbox had to suggest, but in the end, it was just your average scavenger hunt. Well, as average as I know how to make them- this one being my first ever!

I attempted to incorporate Percy Jackson trivia and library building structures and objects to base my clues on. For example, on top of the YA display bookcase we have a huge plant so that clue read "It's not Thalia's pine tree but look for this plant. On top of this shelf lies something very useful to Percy" and of course, 5 little Riptides were waiting to be grabbed.

These objects were nothing elaborate either. Riptide was thin foam covered in blue duct tape with a picture of the actual Riptide taped on and the trident was a blue plastic fork. The camp flags were felt and the report cards were printed off versions I found online.

At the start of the hunt, individuals were grouped into teams and given a scavenger hunt clue sheet and brown paper bag. In preparation, I had made various objects from the books that teams would have to collect to put into their bag. Each team would take 1 item and leave the rest for the other teams to find. As well as the hidden objects, there were the golden coins placed sporadically around the library that acted as extra points. Some of the things on the clue sheet were trivia questions though, just to add some variety and that was one thing the teens said they would have liked to have seen more of.

They were given 35-40 minutes to complete the hunt and had to be back in the Community Room at the designated time. Upon their return we had snacks and tallied up their points! Surprisingly, none of the teams found all the items... but whether that was because of my terrible clues or time.... well, let's face it- it was probably me. Read my clues and you'll see what I mean!

This was a program that went over very well though. Kudos for Teen Librarian Toolkit for having it available.

And here's what the clue sheet (my cheat sheet) looked like for all you people out there who may be stumped on this like I was!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top